Epidemiology is probably one of the most promising field of application for GIS and spatial analysis.
Since a few years, N.A.D.A.R. developed a great expertise in this domain:
- Mapping high-risk zones for a project of prevention / treatment of Bilharzia in Northern Namibia ;
- Modelisation of the risk of malaria infection in order to optimise the anti-malaria spraying campaigns in Burundi (Médecins sans Frontières) ;
- Set up of management tools (GIS database) for health and water sanitation in the framework of an anti-cholera programme in Rwanda (Médecins sans Frontières).
- Modelling the distribution of an important cholera outbreak in Harare (Zimbabwe), for Medecins sans Frontières
- Spatial analysis (GIS) of environmental factors in relation to a typhoid fever outbreak in Kikwit (DR Congo), for Médecins sans Frontières.